GSK Pfizer to merge their healthcare divisions

first_imgLONDON — Drugmakers GlaxoSmithKline and Pfizer are merging their healthcare divisions, creating a business with combined sales of 9.8 billion pounds ($12.7 billion).British-based Glaxo will own 68 per cent of the joint venture, while U.S.-based Pfizer will own the remaining 32 per cent stake.The joint venture will bring together Glaxo’s brands such as Sensodyne, Voltaren and Panadol with Pfizer’s Advil and Centrum.Shareholders have long pressured Glaxo to break itself in two companies — with one focused on pharmaceuticals and vaccines, and the other on consumer healthcare. Glaxo aims to do this within three years.Emma Walmsley, CEO of Glaxo, says that with the “future intention to separate, the transaction also presents a clear pathway forward for GSK to create a new global pharmaceuticals/vaccines company, with an R&D (research and development) approach.”The Associated Presslast_img read more

Atlantic City casino win up in 2018 but newbies hurt others

first_imgATLANTIC CITY, N.J. — Two reopened casinos and half a year of sports betting helped push Atlantic City’s casino revenue up 7.5 per cent in 2018 to nearly $2.86 million, state gambling regulators said Monday.But the news was bad for most of the casinos that existed before the Hard Rock and Ocean Resort casinos opened in June. Of those seven casinos, six won less in 2018 than they had in 2017, the latest of several recent indications that concerns about whether Atlantic City was re-expanding its market to an unsustainable size were valid.Sports betting saw the casinos and two racetracks take in $1.24 billion since the first wagers were taken in June. For the less than six months that sports betting was legal last year, it generated just over $94 million in revenue for casinos and tracks. The state got $10.4 million in sports betting taxes.Ocean Resort is the former Revel, which closed in 2014; Hard Rock is the former Trump Taj Mahal, which closed two years later. Both reopened the same day last year, June 27.After a brutal stretch that saw five casinos shut down between 2014 and 2016, Atlantic City had been doing reasonably well as a slimmed-down market with less competition and a boost from internet gambling. Increased competition from casinos in neighbouring states including Pennsylvania and New York cannibalized Atlantic City’s casino revenue, helping lead to the shut downs.When plans were announced for Hard Rock and Ocean Resort to open, elation about the restored jobs, tax revenue and additional weekend hotel rooms was tempered by concern that Atlantic City might be making the same mistake twice in having more casinos than the market can support.James Plousis, chairman of the New Jersey Casino Control Commission, noted that 2018 was the third straight year that Atlantic City’s gambling revenue increased. But he did note the impact on the older casinos from the arrival of the two newcomers.“While the city had a good year, market adjustments from competition occurred and will continue into 2019,” he said in a news release. “The continuing strength of internet gaming plus a growing sports wagering market will provide the industry with tools to compete.”Of Atlantic City’s seven casinos that operated before the two new additions last year, only the Golden Nugget showed a revenue increase for the year. It was up 13.7 per cent to $327.8 million.Even the Borgata, Atlantic City’s perennial market leader, saw its casino revenue decline in 2018. It was down 4 per cent to $771.1 million.Tropicana was down 2.5 per cent to nearly $381 million, but it remained the city’s No. 2 casino in terms of gambling revenue.Resorts was down 3.3 per cent to $184.2 million; Harrah’s was down 8.4 per cent to almost $333 million; Bally’s was down 9.1 per cent to nearly $192 million, and Caesars was down 13.5 per cent to $281.3 million.Hard Rock won $166.7 million from late June through the end of the year, while Ocean Resort won $101.1 million during that same period.Ocean Resort changed hands last week, with an as-yet unannounced company assuming a majority ownership stake in it in return for making a $70 million investment to help keep it running. The ownership change was widely seen as another indication that the market was not ready for the kind of expansion it underwent last summer.Internet gambling took in nearly $300 million last year, an increase of 21.6 per cent over 2017 and one of the true bright spots for New Jersey’s gambling market. Of the two internet-only gambling entities in the state, Resorts Digital was up 76.3 per cent to $75.7 million, and Caesars Interactive-NJ was up 5.9 per cent to $45.5 million. The Golden Nugget won $104 million online last year, about twice what its nearest competitor, the Borgata, did.___Follow Wayne Parry at http://twitter.com/WayneParryACWayne Parry, The Associated Presslast_img read more

Gas Plant fire in Fairview on Wednesday

first_imgThe AER says they continue to work with the company, the RCMP, and local fire department to ensure all safety and environmental requirements are met during the response to the incident. FAIRVIEW, A.B. – Canadian Natural Resources Limited had experienced a fire, on Wednesday, March 20, at their gas plant in Fairview, Alberta.The Alberta Energy Regulator responded to a Canadian Natural Resources’ tank fire approximately 12 kilometres southwest of Fairview.According to the AER, the fire had started at around 8:00 p.m. and was extinguished at approximately 11:40 p.m.last_img read more

History and Trivia Popup Event at the green space

first_imgJoin the fun between 12 pm – 3 pm at the green space at the corner of 100 Avenue and 100 Street.There will be prizes and a mini pioneer pathway.For more information call the Visitor Centre at 250-785-3033 FORT ST. JOHN, B.C. – Join local historians at the green space on Saturday, July 13, 2019, to test your knowledge of the Peace Region.This history pop-up is a trivia event that will test your knowledge on the history of Fort St. John. Local history enthusiast Larry Evans as well as guests from Treaty 8 are ready to quiz participants and chat about history.last_img read more

Curious Critters at Charlie Lake with the Charlie Lake Conservation Society

first_imgCHARLE LAKE, B.C. – The Charlie Lake Conservation Society (CLCS) is hosting Discover Curious Critters at Charlie Lake this Sunday, July 14th, 2019 at the Beatton Provincial Park.Join the CLCS and Student Rangers from 9 am to 3 pm at the park to dip net at the beach, do crafts and view displays. The Charlie Lake Conservation Society said “this event will encourage kids and their families to explore some of the creatures in and around Charlie Lake. We will be doing some netting and looking at the fish, plants and other critters. There will be displays and crafts.”last_img read more

City of Fort St John hosts second Open House to review updates

first_imgFORT ST. JOHN, B.C. – The City of Fort St. John was host to the second Open House at the North Peace Cultural Centre on Saturday, August 10, to review the proposed updates to the City’s Zoning Bylaw.City Planning Manager, Renee Jamurat, says they heard feedback from residents and members of the community on Zoning Bylaw changes such as Integration Zones from when the city had officially expanded its boundaries in 2016, receiving land that was once within the jurisdiction of the Peace River Regional District.Updates to the Zoning Bylaw also include looking at items such as cannabis-related land uses, Development Permit Areas, and lot design regulations. All feedback from the community will then be considered for incorporation into the Zoning Bylaw updates.The proposed Zoning Bylaw updates will then be presented to City Council, for approval, in the Fall.For more information, you can visit letstalk.fortstjohn.ca.last_img read more

Slew of measures to help speciallyabled voters

first_imgKolkata: Election officials of the North Kolkata Parliamentary constituency segment have initiated various steps to reach out to the specially-abled voters under its jurisdiction and encourage them to exercise their electoral franchise.Braille-enabled Electronic Voting Machines (EVM) will be arranged for visually-impaired voters, officials are visiting the homes of the specially-abled persons to know about their disabilities and locations, a ramp will be put up on the ground with handrail so that wheelchairs can be rolled on the them and some of them will picked up from home and dropped back after the voting process. The North Kolkata will go to poll in the seventh phase of Lok Sabha elections on 19 May. The district election officer (DEO) of North Kolkata, Dibyendu Sarkar, has already directed the other election officials to make all the necessary arrangements to ensure a pleasant voting experience for all the specially-abled voters. The officials have also been asked to chalk out a detailed plan to help differently-abled voters to exercise their franchise without any difficulties. The office of the DEO has already carried out a survey to identify these voters and their locations in order to make special arrangements for them on the day of poll. The poll personnel have started visiting their homes to know about their disabilities and what kind of assistance they would need to reach polling booths to cast their votes. They have been asked to collect details of the locations and contact numbers of such voters. According to district election officer Dibyendu Sarkar, there are altogether 1,500 differently abled voters in North Kolkata. The election officials have prepared a list of these voters with the data provided by the Kolkata Municipal Corporation and the office of the commissioner for persons with disabilities. “We are making necessary arrangements for the differently-abled voters at the polling stations. A ramp will be put up on the ground with handrail so that wheelchairs can be rolled on the ramp. Voters with physical deformities need not to stand in the queue and they will be allowed to cast their votes the moment they step into the booth,” Sarkar said. Sarkar further said: “Braille-enabled Electronic Voting Machines will be arranged for visually-impaired voters. There will be special arrangements for elderly voters as well. We have decided to arrange 150 wheelchairs in North Kolkata. Vehicles and wheelchairs will be arranged for persons requiring special assistance. We have already spoken to various organisations and NGOs to arrange for wheelchairs. Arrangements will be made to pick up these individuals from their homes and drop them back after voting.” An audio-visual documentary for specially-abled people has been released by the District Election Officer where these voters have been urged to cast their votes. The video will encourage the specially-abled people to take part in the election process, said a senior election official.last_img read more

Vote for soul of India Rahul tells voters

first_imgNew Delhi: Congress President Rahul Gandhi on Thursday urged voters to vote for the soul of India and its future while slamming the Modi government for lying to the people in the past five years. He also denounced the Modi government over demonetization and Goods and Services Tax and also accused it of spreading distrust and hate. “No 2 crore jobs. No 15 lakhs in bank accounts. No acche din. Instead: No jobs. Demonetization, farmers in pain. Gabbar Singh Tax, Suit Boot Sarkar. Rafale. Lies… Distrust. Violence. Hate. Fear. You vote today for the soul of India. For her future,” he said. Polling is on for 91 seats in the first phase of parliamentary elections across 18 states and two union territories. Votes are also being cast for Assembly polls in Andhra Pradesh, Arunachal Pradesh, Sikkim and Odisha.last_img read more

ExMLA not Parrikars son gets BJP Panaji bypoll ticket

first_imgPanaji: The BJP on Sunday announced the candidature of former MLA Siddharth Kunkolienkar for the Panaji Assembly bypoll scheduled for May 19.The bypoll was necessitated following the death of sitting MLA and former chief minister Manohar Parrikar on March 17. While there was speculation that Parrikar’s elder son Utpal would be given a ticket, a statement on the BJP’s website about Kunkolienkar’s candidature put an end to it. The BJP’s Central Election Committee secretary Jagat Prakash Nadda announced the candidature of Kunkolienkar on Sunday afternoon. Incidentally, Kunkolienkar had won the seat in the 2017 Assembly polls before vacating it on May 10 that year to allow Parrikar to contest and enter the 40-member Goa Legislative Assembly. Parrikar, who was then Union defence minister, was brought back to helm the state government after the BJP fell short of a simple majority and had to ally with other parties like Goa Forward Party and Maharashtrawadi Gomantak Party, as well as Independents.last_img read more

EOW registers case against private company for cheating investors

first_imgNew Delhi: The Delhi Police Economic Offences Wing (EOW) had registered a case against the private company for cheating investors /homebuyers. Police said that the complainant in the case told them that in the year 2012 he saw the advertisement for the company’s project in the newspaper.”He contacted the company and on the next day, he met on the person in company’s office. That person told them about company project in Yamuna Expressway in Greater Noida,” police said. After showing the brochure the person told the complainant that if he invests in the company’s project he (complainant) will get possession of the flat in two years. It was also told to the complainant that the company has all approval and licenses regarding the project. A dummy model was also shown. At the project site, the complainant show company’s hoarding. After that in December 2012 complainant booked one flat. The first payment made through cheque of Rs 4 lakh by the complainant. The money receipt came through the post in his house. The complainant told police that he had paid 30 per cent of money to the company. After two payments company issued allotment letter on his name and after third payment builder buyer agreement was signed. “The company said that the remaining payment will be taken after construction will start,” complainant further told the police. Later no work started by the company. “I called them through phone and sent email but the reply was not satisfactory from the company side,” the complainant told the investigating agency. In 2016, the complainant visited the construction site no hoardings were seen of the said project and also the company removed the project from their websites without telling him. All the investors in April 2017 went to the company’s office. The company’s official told them that the construction will take time. According to police, all other complaints received in the matter are also clubbed with main complaint. The number of complaints at present is sixteen and on the basis of the contents of complaint and pre-registration enquiry an offence under sections 406, 409, 420 and 120 B of IPC. Case against manager A case of cheating was registered with the Delhi Police after a woman who claimed herself owner of the media institute has said that centre manager had entered into a conspiracy with other members of the institute to commit financial frauds.last_img read more