Irish soldiers ‘safe and well’ in Lebanon following Israeli mortar fire

first_imgMembers of the Irish Defence Forces sought protection in bunkers for about four hours in south Lebanon after their area of operations came under fire from the Israeli army.The UN peacekeepers in the 450-strong battalion, members of the 114th infantry battalion, took cover after an exchange of fire between the Israeli defence forces and the Iranian-supported Hezbollah on Sunday afternoon.The Irish soldiers responded to the codeword “Groundhog” directing them to take cover in bomb shelters and to don helmets and body armour as the incoming fire from the Israeli forces fell in their area, according to The Irish Times.  The Defence Forces tweeted that Irish personnel were “out of shelters” and “resuming routine” on Sunday evening, several hours after announcing that they had taken shelter “as a precautionary measure” after the rockets were fired on Sunday afternoon.None of the Irish troops were injured. A spokesman for the Defence Forces said that they were “safe and well.”Irish soldiers ‘safe and well’ in Lebanon following Israeli mortar fire was last modified: September 2nd, 2019 by Staff WriterShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window)last_img read more

20 held for Naseerpur communal clash

first_imgThe Uttar Pradesh police have arrested 20 people on charges of murder and rioting after communal violence rocked Naseerpur village in Muzaffarnagar on Monday. One person was killed and over a dozen were injured in the violence that was triggered by a petty fight over overflowing water from a sewage line. The Naseerpur violence is the second such incident in less than a week in the district. On Saturday, hundreds of agitated villagers of Sherpur clashed with the police and burnt their vehicles after rumours of cow slaughter spread in the area.Twenty-two-year-old Akash died of a gun shot injury in the Naseerpur violence. Three hundred people have been booked. According to the police, Iqbal was on his way to the local mosque on Monday when he got into an argument with one Brijpal over an over flowing drain. The issue was sorted out in the afternoon at a meeting of the village elders, who persuaded them to arrive at a compromise. But by the evening, the issue flared up again and led to a violent clash in which people attacked each other with firearms and stones. Brijpal and his son Akash were injured in the firing. Akash succumbed to his injuries on the way to the hospital.Village head arrestedThe police arrested the Naseerpur village head, Sabir on Thursday after he was named in an FIR filed by Brijpal. Sabir, however, told The Hindu that he had nothing to do with the clash. “I had organised a panchayat, where the village elders brought about a compromise between Iqbal and Brijpal. But the same evening, they started fighting once again,” he said. Superintendent of Police (city) Muzaffrnafar Rakesh Kumar Singh told The Hindu that paramilitary forces and Provincial Armed Constabulary had been deployed in the village and the situation was “under control.” Many fledMany Muslim families have reportedly fled the area fearing retaliation after an angry mob, despite the police deployment, set the house of a person accused of firing at Akash. BJP leaders, including Union Minister and the local MP Sanjeev Baliyan, met the family of Akash on Wednesday. They also talked on the phone to Chief Minister Adityanath, who they said had agreed to ensure that the victim’s family was granted ₹20 lakh in compensation and a government job for one of its members.last_img read more

Belships Secures Bulker Newbuild

first_imgzoom Oslo-based bulk carrier owner and operator Belships ASA has signed an agreement to charter in an Ultramax bulk carrier to be delivered from Japanese Imabari Shipbuilding in the first half of 2020.As disclosed, the charter period for the 63,000 dwt ship will be for minimum eight years plus two yearly options, with purchase option from the end of the fourth year.With the new agreement, Belships ASA said it will have four Ultramax bulk carriers with eco-design from Imabari Shipbuilding.Two ships were delivered and in service for Cargill and Canpotex, respectively.Another bulker is expected to be handed over to the company in January 2018 and is presently unfixed.last_img read more