Arsenal to focus on player swap deals and free transfers in next window

first_imgArteta is facing a slashed transfer budget (Picture: Getty)Arsenal will focus their efforts on signing free agents and negotiating swap deals in the next transfer window, reports say.The Gunners transfer budget has been decimated by the coronavirus pandemic and the club have convinced their first-team players and head coach Mikel Arteta to take a 12-month 12.5 per cent pay cut.Arteta was hoping to make a slew of signings this summer, but Arsenal’s financial difficulties have seen a drastic change in strategy.When in talks over a salary deduction, Arsenal’s squad were keen to know the club’s transfer plans and if they planned to splash out big sums on new arrivals.AdvertisementAdvertisementADVERTISEMENTRead the latest updates: Coronavirus news liveThe Daily Mail claim Arsenal are actively seeking swap deals, similar to the one they did with Manchester United and Alexis Sanchez and Henrikh Mkhitaryan in 2018.Player exchanges are uncommon in football, especially when it comes to big-name stars.Free agents are another option for Arsenal, who had such a limited transfer budget last January they could only agree loan deals. Comment Willian is a free agent at the end of the campaign (Picture: Getty)Chelsea star Willian is one of several players linked with a switch to Arsenal, as the Brazilian’s contract expires this summer.Liverpool midfielder Adam Lallana has also attracted interest from Arsenal, who have not played a game since March 7.Arteta could be facing further changes to his squad after the club shelved contract talks with influential duo Mesut Ozil and Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang.Ozil is the club’s top earner with a £350,000-a-week deal, while Aubameyang has demanded a massive pay rise in discussions with the Gunners.More: FootballRio Ferdinand urges Ole Gunnar Solskjaer to drop Manchester United starChelsea defender Fikayo Tomori reveals why he made U-turn over transfer deadline day moveMikel Arteta rates Thomas Partey’s chances of making his Arsenal debut vs Man CityThe Premier League are aiming to can play postponed games this summer, but those hopes sustained a big blow in the last week with the cancellation of Ligue 1 and the Eredivisie.Arteta’s positive test for coronavirus sparked a shutdown of football in Great Britain and the Spaniard detailed how quickly he became ill.‘Everything happened very fast,’ Arteta told La Sexta. ‘On Tuesday afternoon I was feeling so-so and I went to see the doctor but he wasn’t there. ‘I got a call from the board of directors after training while I was in my car and they told me the president of Olympiakos had tested positive and everyone who had been in contact was at risk.‘I went on to tell them that I wasn’t feeling well and that we had a situation because we had lots of players that had been in contact with them. ‘We had a game against Manchester City the next day and obviously we couldn’t put lots of people at risk without saying anything.’ Metro Sport ReporterTuesday 28 Apr 2020 11:47 pmShare this article via facebookShare this article via twitterShare this article via messengerShare this with Share this article via emailShare this article via flipboardCopy link4.6kShares Arsenal to focus on player swap deals and free transfers in next windowcenter_img Advertisement Tottenham players spotted training during lockdownTo view this video please enable JavaScript, and consider upgrading to a web browser that supports HTML5 video Play VideoLoaded: 0%0:00Progress: 0%PlayMuteCurrent Time 0:00/Duration Time 0:12FullscreenTottenham players spotted training during lockdownhttps://metro.co.uk/video/tottenham-players-spotted-training-lockdown-2147732/This is a modal window.Beginning of dialog window. Escape will cancel and close the window.TextColorWhiteBlackRedGreenBlueYellowMagentaCyanTransparencyOpaqueSemi-TransparentBackgroundColorBlackWhiteRedGreenBlueYellowMagentaCyanTransparencyOpaqueSemi-TransparentTransparentWindowColorBlackWhiteRedGreenBlueYellowMagentaCyanTransparencyTransparentSemi-TransparentOpaqueFont Size50%75%100%125%150%175%200%300%400%Text Edge StyleNoneRaisedDepressedUniformDropshadowFont FamilyProportional Sans-SerifMonospace Sans-SerifProportional SerifMonospace SerifCasualScriptSmall CapsReset restore all settings to the default valuesDoneClose Modal DialogEnd of dialog window.MORE: Real Madrid set £44m asking price for Arsenal to seal Dani Ceballos transferMORE: Jack Wilshere explains why Arsenal never won Premier League with Mesut Ozil and Alexis SanchezAdvertisementAdvertisementFollow Metro Sport across our social channels, on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram. For more stories like this, check our sport page. Advertisementlast_img read more

Klijnsma calls for choice, solidarity and collectivity in pensions dialogue

first_imgPart of the dialogue will be nationwide meetings, where the Cabinet aims to check and supplement its own views, she said.She added that, depending on the interest and needs arising from these sessions, platforms for specific groups could be established.Klijnsma stressed that anyone with ideas about a sustainable pensions system could participate in the national dialogue, which will be held between September and December.The results of the broad discussion are to be laid down in a framework note, which will also include findings on the issue of the Social and Economic Council (SER).The state secretary said the outline note would include trends in society and experiences with foreign pension systems, and would be tabled in Parliament next spring.She added that the Cabinet would also address the consequences for the design of the system update, as well as possible transition routes and policy variants. Jetta Klijnsma, state secretary for the Dutch Ministry of Social Affairs, has said freedom of choice on pension arrangements, solidarity on risks and income and which collective approach and players should shoulder which responsibilities will be the main issues in the ongoing debate over the long-term future of the Dutch pensions system.Outlining her plans for future talks, Klijnsma said a new website, www.denationalepensioendialoog.nl, would become the focal point for the debate.She said the site – which is to go live in mid-August – would not only provide insight into the government’s orientation via surveys and polls but also contain links to the policy documents of important players in the debate. To support to dialogue process, Klijnsma presented a clarification of the definitions of the crucial concepts for the discussion.last_img read more

Allam pursuing sale and name change

first_img But he is also attempting to have that overturned at the highest level and will remain at the helm if successful. With a touch of flippancy somewhat at odds with a personal investment ranging between £70-100million, he declared his preferred outcome “whichever comes first” and would “give it away” if neither proved successful. Allam spoke for more than 45 minutes, littering his oration with obscure metaphors and non-sequiturs, but the hard information came in a prepared statement at the beginning. In it, he said: “Lately we have seen a lot of rumours around and I’ve decided it’s better to clear the air. “We stated earlier this year that the club would be for sale if our attempt to globally promote Hull Tigers as a brand name and playing name be blocked. “As a consequence of the FA’s decision on April 9 I announced on April 10 that Hull City is for sale – the club, not the (city) council. “I am using the wording Hull City now to show respect to the FA decision. “This announcement is in accordance with my decision 10 months ago that I would walk away within 24 hours (if the rebrand was unsuccessful). “In actual fact it was 22 hours. When I say something I mean it. I don’t call bluffs. “We have also begun the appeal against the FA decision via arbitration and we are hopeful of a positive outcome or that the FA reconsider their decision. “Until the conclusion of that appeal or the sale, whichever comes first, we will remain fully committed to the club. “If the appeal comes first: okay, no harm done. If the sale comes first: sold.” Despite saving the club from financial oblivion when he took over in 2010 and overseeing the most successful period in its history over the past season, Allam’s single-minded focus on the rebrand has led to antipathy from some sections of the fan base. A protest group called City Til We Die have taken up the cause with particular vehemence and chants of “we say no Allam, we say no” still go up at home games after 19 minutes and four seconds – timed to represent the founding year of the club, 1904. But he still believes there is a “silent majority” of supporters who back his plans and said that the CAS appeal was initiated in their name. “I’ve gone for arbitration for one reason: I don’t want the silent majority to criticise me for not going all the way,” he said. “If I ignore the arbitration and just say it is to be sold I will have let the silent majority down. “I want to do my best for the club and the fans, even though the silent majority kept silent, until the end.” Allam admits he sees unfinished business at Hull – and even talked loftily of breaking the Premier League’s top five in just a couple more years. “What I had in mind was to stay in Premier League, another year to go mid-table and another two years to go top five then Europe becomes a matter of course,” he said. “I haven’t finished and if I end up selling I would be selling with tears in my eyes because I would not have finished what I wanted to do. “But there is no compromise. I don’t have a habit of settling for halfway.” Allam’s main argument has always been that the Tigers brand would help bring new investment into the club, helping make it self-sustaining past his own personal wealth. He said he had hard evidence of that in a failed sponsorship agreement and bemoaned the lack of commercial opportunities that existed as a result of Hull City Council’s ownership of the KC Stadium. “There was a sponsor for the shirt (this summer), no names mentioned,” he said. “We had an offer in writing from the far east for an amount. The day the FA said no, they withdrew the offer. “We found an alternative, £1m a year less. Who pays for that? “You want AFC, you want City, please yourself. Come and pay for it. “At the moment, because we have no other income, I pay, as evidence of my commitment to the local community – but there is a limit and I have gone past that limit.” The 75-year-old Egyptian made a rare appearance in front of the media to “clear the air” after rumours that he had already completed a sale, but appeared to confirm he was running two entirely opposite courses of action simultaneously. Allam revealed he had put Hull on the market on April 10, just 22 hours after the Football Association Council threw out the plan to rename the club Hull Tigers and ditch the historical Hull City AFC moniker. Hull owner Assem Allam has revealed he put the club up for sale less than a day after his controversial “Tigers” rebrand was rejected and has also appealed against that verdict to the Court of Arbitration for Sport. Press Associationlast_img read more