…though PwC valuation report still to be made publicThough a report on the valuation of the assets of the Guyana Sugar Corporation (GuySuCo) has not yet been released, Government is optimistic that the divestment process can begin in a matter of months.In a sit down with the media after signing a loan agreement on Friday, Finance Minister Winston Jordan was asked for an update on the divestment process. In his response, he noted that Government is optimistic of starting in the first half of 2019, a fact expressed by President David Granger.“We expect by the first half of next year to divest some of the estates,” Jordan said, adding “I will speak with (Special Purpose Unit head Colvin Heath-London) to see if we have any further updates. Otherwise, the next update perhaps will be in the budget speech, in terms of where we are and what we expect.”The parliamentary Opposition has been calling on the Government to publicise the PriceWaterhouse Coopers (PwC) valuation report into GuySuCo’s assets. The valuation was supposed to have preceded the sale of the various estates and accompanying assets.That process has already started; however, neither the Government nor the accounting firm has released the document. At a recent press conference, Opposition Leader Bharrat Jagdeo zeroed in on this state of affairs.“We were told that before any decision was made, that PriceWaterhouse Coopers will do a valuation of assets. Where is the valuation of the assets and why don’t they release it to the Guyanese public, so we will see what they have valued the assets of GuySuCo at and whether we come close to realising that value,” Jagdeo had said.“Or if they have undervalued the assets of GuySuCo and then would claim that they got more than the valuation. We’d like to see a copy of the report. But it seems as though its done secretly and we don’t know what assurances are given by PwC and SPU, whether those are assurances Cabinet has agreed to,” the Opposition Leader added.SeveranceJordan was also asked about the payment of severances. He noted that the supplementary paper must be approved for the severance to be paid. He also noted that when Government paid its first tranche, many workers received their full severance.“We said once the Parliament passes the supplementary and the President signs the supplementary appropriations Act, they will be paid. We will transfer the money. My understanding is that they already have the sheets ready.”“In January, we had said we were going to make the payments in two parts, because we didn’t have the monies to make severance. We said at the time that those owed $500,000 or less, we would pay fully. So nobody got less than $500,000, if you were at $500,000 or above. So a significant number of sugar workers were paid their full severance.”Jordan reminded that Government had promised to make the remainder of the severance available by the second half of 2018. He noted that the year is not finished, but assured that Government would remain on this timeline.Earlier this month, Government tabled a financial paper seeking parliamentary approval for $2.4 billion to pay-off hundreds of sugar workers. This was even as several sugar workers protested in front of Parliament. Of the $7.5 billion financial paper totalled, $2.4 billion was set aside for severance pay.In May 2017, Government announced plans to close the Enmore and Rose Hall Sugar Estates, sell the Skeldon Sugar Factory, reduce the annual production of sugar, and take on the responsibility of managing the drainage and irrigation services offered by GuySuCo.In November of that year, GuySuCo announced plans to retrench 2500 workers by the end of that year. That number increased substantially and ended up being over 7000.
WHITTIER – It was standing-room only Tuesday at the Whittier Union High School District board room, where nearly 200 parents, students and supporters of the California High School varsity football program pleaded with trustees to keep Dusan Ancich as the Condors’ head football coach. Rumors are flying at California High about Ancich’s possible departure, with parents saying they fear he’s being squeezed out of his job because of circumstances concerning the use of an ineligible player who had transferred from Santa Fe High School last fall. District officials say they’re unable to comment because personnel matters are considered confidential matters. 165Let’s talk business.Catch up on the business news closest to you with our daily newsletter. Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set!
“Over the last two trips we have gone out, the government has been providing tickets for us. Up to now, they are yet to give us anything. If by tomorrow (Tuesday) we don’t have tickets, then I don’t see us travelling not unless a well wisher comes out. We don’t have money as a club,” Gor chairman Ambrose Rachier told Capital Sport.On visas, the club is facing the risk of receiving the documents as late as Wednesday morning if the South African embassy will stick to its regulation of five working days.According to Rachier, the team applied for their visas last Tuesday and was booked for interviews on Wednesday, the same day they were facing Wazito FC in a league fixture in Machakos. They went for the interviews on Thursday.“We couldn’t boycott the match in Machakos and we went on Thursday. The embassy has insisted that they will start counting the five days from Thursday. So we wait and see, hopefully they will be considerate and we can get the visas tomorrow and travel at night,” Rachier further explained.Jack Tuyisenge is joined by Meddie Kagere and Boniface Omondi in celebrating his goal against SuperSport United in a CAF Confederation Cup first round match at the Kenyatta Stadium in Machakos. PHOTO/Raymond MakhayaThere has also been an issue with the foreign players in the squad;“The embassy required us to provide one-year work permits but immigration here only gives six month work permits. So we don’t know how that will go down with them. We have explained and so we wait. It is a very precarious situation for the club,” Rachier notes.If Gor successfully get their visas on Tuesday morning and also get tickets, then they will travel to Johannesburg and connect to Pretoria on Tuesday night, and they will not have a chance of feeling the Lucas Moripe Stadium before the game.Head coach Dylan Kerr has already organized a training session for the team at Camp Toyoyo on Tuesday morning.“Our work is on the pitch and we will work hard to be ready for the match,” Kerr noted in a brief response.Gor Mahia won the first leg 1-0 in Machakos on April 7 and are eying a historic berth in the group stages of continental football is they avoid defeat in Pretoria.Coach Kerr will be hoping the pre-match drama will not break down his team’s mental preparedness for the tie. Already they will be without Ernest Wendo for the tie with the midfielder suspended after accumulating two yellow cards.0Shares0000(Visited 1 times, 1 visits today) 0Shares0000Gor Mahia head coach Dylan Kerr reacts during his side’s Kenyan premier League clash against Thika United at the Thika Sub-County Stadium on September 17, 2017. PHOTO/Raymond MakhayaNAIROBI, Kenya, Apr 16- No visas, no tickets; That’s the situation 16-time Kenyan Premier League champions Gor Mahia find themselves in ahead of their CAF Confederation Cup third round return leg tie against SuperSport United scheduled for Wednesday in Pretoria, South Africa.Less than two days to the clash to be staged at the Lucas Moripe Stadium, Gor Mahia are yet to get their visas and worse still, they do not have air tickets.
This Aussie-American TV producer called Tara Foster is going to be travelling around Ireland with only her bike! Her one wish is that she gets to attend an Irish wedding as someone’s plus one.Speaking to the Irish Independent, she said; “I would be a great plus-one for a wedding, so if any guys want to send me an invite? It would be great. I’m going on this trip because I really want to have an Irish adventure and what’s more Irish than a local wedding”. “However, there is a catch. I don’t have any dresses or shoes with me for weddings. I had no room on the bike to bring them” she added.Amazingly she has quit her job to do this, and is willing to travel wherever her Twitter feed takes her.She sets off from Wexford next Sunday.Fancy bringing her along to a wedding? You can get in touch with her on Twitter. Fancy fulfilling this Aussie-American girl’s dream? was last modified: September 7th, 2016 by Elaine McCalligShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window) Tags:americanaustralianCYCLINGDateIrelandirish weddingTwitter
Son ban confirmed as Tottenham fail with appeal to overturn red card 74. Cesar Azpilicueta (Chelsea) – 86 – CB73. Naldo (Schalke) – 86 – CB72. Fernandinho (Manchester City) – 86 – CDM71. Miralem Pjanic (Juventus) – 86 -CM70. Leroy Sane (Manchester City) – 86 – LW69. Leonardo Bonucci (Juventus) – 86 – CB68. Jerome Boateng (Bayern Munich) – 86 – CB Ronaldo warned Lukaku how hard scoring goals in Serie A would be before Inter move The popular game gives fans plenty to do in between real-life matches and allows us to take our favourite teams to the summit of football.With players emerging and declining fairly rapidly in the modern era, FIFA’s updates to player ratings are always eagerly anticipated, so there has been plenty of buzz surrounding the release of their latests ‘Top 100’ player list.So far, EA Sports have only released the players who are 80-61 on breakdown, but who have made it?Click the right arrow above to find out… 5 REVEALED 67. Thomas Muller (Bayern Munich) – 86 – CF66. Ederson (Manchester City) – 86 – GK65. Roberto Firmino (Liverpool) – 86 – CF64. Marco Verratti (Paris Saint-Germain) – 86 – CM 63. Nicolas Otamendi (Manchester City) – 86 – CB62. Thiago Alcantara (Bayern Munich) – 86 – CM61. Mesut Ozil (Arsenal) – 86 – CAM Where Ancelotti ranks with every Premier League boss for trophies won Oxlade-Chamberlain suffers another setback as Klopp confirms serious injury FIFA 19 is almost here – it’s so close we can feel the excitement in the air and EA Sports are already revealing their top 100 ratings.Set for release on September 28, the card announcements are getting people talking, along with their latest advert, which features talkSPORT. 79. Alex Sandro (Juventus) – 86 – LB78. Mehdi Benatia (Juventus) – 86 – CB77. Dani Parejo (Valencia) – 86 -CM76. Nemanja Matic (Manchester United) – 86 – CDM75. Douglas Costa (Juventus) – 86 – LM Top nine Premier League free transfers of the decade MONEY 80. Radja Nainggolan (Inter Milan) – 85 – CM BEST OF RANKED 5 5 England’s most successful clubs of the past decade, according to trophies won He almost signed for Paris Saint-Germain in the summer but remains with Bayern, although with a downgrade rating in FIFA 19. Which teams do the best on Boxing Day in the Premier League era? impact Ronaldo might now be with Juve but Costa is an essential tool and he’s been given a decent upgrade from last season’s 83-rated card too. New Inter Milan signing Nainggolan may have dropped from 86-rated to an 85 but his overall attacking attributes were bumped up. 5 huge blow Every Championship club’s best signing of the decade, including Taarabt and Dack Latest Football News This Premier League quartet are all in the Top 100 rated stars in FIFA 19. Forbes list reveals how much Mayweather, Ronaldo and Messi earned this decade no dice REVEALED 5 ADVICE Every time Ally McCoist lost it on air in 2019, including funny XI reactions After one year as an 87-rated card, the Italian is back down to 86 in Paris. silverware
COMMUNITY ALERT: PARENTS have warned the public to be aware that drug dealers are now selling the highly addictive drug crystal meth to children here in Co Donegal.The drug is more powerful and more addictive than crack cocaine.Two teenagers used the drug in Buncrana at the weekend. Local Sinn Féin councillor Ciaran McLaughlin said he was contacted by parents who wanted to warn others that the drug was freely available in the town last weekend.He has passed the information to Gardaí in the town.Cllr McLaughlin told Donegal Daily: “I received two phone calls on Sunday evening from two very worried mothers, saying that their teenage daughters had taken the drug the previous night and said it was rife at the night club.“Both mothers did not want to be identified and asked if I would contact the gardai on their behalf. Parents should be made aware of these awful destructive drugs and their side affects. “Crystal meth comes in the form of white ice crystals and can be smoked like crack through a pipe.“It’s a powerful form of speed that produces a rush that can last up to 12 hours, but includes a debilitating crash afterwards. The resulting crash drives users to take more of the drug to feel better.”Experienced and respected drug worker Father Peter McVerry warned: “Crystal meth has destroyed whole communities in America, and it is about to do the same here. Every drug that comes along seems to be worse than the last one.“Crack cocaine was taking a hold but now its crystal meth and that to me is 10 times worse than crack.”Cllr McLaughlin continued: “I have passed on the information to the gardai and I would ask anyone with information to do like wise so that the gardai can swiftly make arrests and clean up our nightclubs for our young people, who can enjoy themselves on a night out and that parents can have one less issue to worry over.” COMMUNITY ALERT: CRYSTAL METH BEING SOLD TO CHILDREN IN DONEGAL was last modified: October 15th, 2013 by John2Share this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window)Tags:buncranacommunity alertcrystal methdonegalfor sale
30 April 2013 South Africa has the highest percentage of companies that publicly disclose their greenhouse gas emissions in the BRICS group of countries, according to a carbon ranking index released by the Environmental Investment Organisation (EIO) on Monday. The EIO is a London-based independent research organisation that promotes ecological investment systems. South African mobile telecommunications firm Vodacom came second overall in the EIO’s rankings, while diversified industrial firm Barloworld and miner Kumba Iron Ore placed 11th and 20th respectively. The index examines the emissions and transparency of the 300 largest firms in the BRICS (Brazil, Russia, India, China and South Africa) grouping. It is one of six ranking reports on emissions disclosure around the world. The Environmental Tracking Carbon Ranking series is the only public database of its kind. Over half of the 45 South African companies in the BRICS 300 ranking were found to be reporting complete data, which includes direct emissions as well as emissions resulting from the purchase of electricity, investments, transportation of goods, waste and employees.‘Reliable emissions database’ “As the world shifts towards a low carbon model, it’s extremely important that we have access to a reliable, consistent and cross-comparable greenhouse gas emissions database on the world’s largest companies,” chief executive of the London-based EIO, Sam Gill, said in a statement. A key finding of the index, however, was that none of the 300 BRICS companies surveyed reported emissions across their entire value chains. These are referred to as “scope 3 emissions”, and include emissions from sources not owned or directly controlled by the firm but which it has some influence over, such as business travel, transportation and distribution. “Since the majority of total corporate emissions often come from scope 3 sources, large quantities of emissions are not being accounted for,” Gill said. “This is precisely why the carbon rankings are designed to encourage scope 3 disclosure.” The EIO will also announce the 2013 Environmental Tracking Scope 3 leaders award on Wednesday to recognise the companies leading the field in emissions disclosure. “The rankings make up the first phase of the Environmental Tracking mechanism, with phase two seeing them developed into a series of investable indexes within which companies are weighted according to their position in the public carbon ranking,” the EIO said in a report. “The EIO hopes to make its Environmental Tracking Index Series available to investors later in the year.” SAinfo reporter
Panaji: The Goa State AIDS Control Society (GSACS) will approach the National Aids Control Organisation (NACO) under the Union Health Ministry seeking permission and funds to conduct a baseline survey of drug addicts to control HIV/AIDS.Dr. Jose D’Sa, project director of GSACS, told The Hindu on Friday that this decision was taken at a meeting of the executive committee of the society on Thursday after some doctors said they get patients (drug addicts) not only from the State’s vulnerable coastline but even from the hinterland.He said it is time the society assesses the number of drug addicts in the State to take up a programme of injecting drug addicts to control HIV/AIDSDr. D’Sa said that considering the present scenario on HIV/AIDS in Goa there has been a decline in the number of patients in recent years, which is a good trend.