Jamaica’s Prime Minister, Andrew Holness, on Wednesday announced a zero-tolerance approach towards criminal offenders in a bid to collar the raging crime monster that has driven fear into the hearts of law-abiding citizens.Speaking during a hastily-called press conference at Jamaica House in Kingston following a special meeting of the country’s Cabinet, Holness said the main targets were those who committed crimes of domestic violence, sexual abuse and grooming of minors.His announcement came in the wake of a rise in vicious crimes against women and children in recent weeks.Insisting that the announcement was not a knee jerk reaction, Holness identified a deep cultural rot as the root cause of those particular crimes and warned that the coming crime measures will cause shift in the manner the country has operated.“The Government will be using existing laws, which include preventative detention in live and imminent situations of domestic violence, sexual abuse and grooming of minors to remove aggressors from the scene, thereby de-escalating the situation,” he said.He added that at an appropriate time he will be combining all the elements Government has been working on to tackle crime.A key pillar of the zero-tolerance approach, will see the police, in tandem with the Transport Authority, targeting illegal ‘robot’ (taxis as of Monday next week, and will remove dark tints from all public passenger vehicles.In the last 13 months the police have arrested and charged 1,442 persons for of crimes against women and children.The Jamaican government has promised a zero tolerance approach to domestic and sexual violence as well as grooming of minorsActing Police Commissioner Novelette Grant, also spoke at the press conference and revealed that 86 people had been nabbed for shooting, 67 for murder, 252 for rape, 280 for robbery, 202 for sexual offences/indecent assault, 237 for sexual intercourse with a girl under the age of 16, 169 for break-ins, while 54 were held for larceny.
Trace Walker The man who is suspected of shooting a Jamaican national to death in the parking lot of a fish market in Lauderhill, South Florida is now behind bars.He has been identified as Trace O’Brian Walker.Walker was caught on video as he pumped 13 bullets into the upper body of 34-year-old Gary Wallock on January 16 outside the Lobster and Seafood Warehouse, 1854 NW 38 Avenue, Lauderhill.Wallock’s female companion, who was with him at the time of the murder managed to escape although the suspect aimed his handgun and fired two shots in her direction as she scampered to safety.Walker was arrested in Palm Beach County without incident by the Lauderhill Police Department with the assistance West Palm Beach Police Department, Palm Beach Sheriff’s Office and the U.S. Marshalls Service.Walker is in the custody at the Broward Main County Jail being held without bond.The Lauderhill Police say they have established no motive for the murder but word on the ground in his hometown of Flankers in Montego Bay, Jamaica is linking the incident to an ongoing lotto scam.
Guy Philippe Former Haiti rebel leader and elected senator, Guy Philippe has been arguing his case from a United States jail cell.The 48-year-old Philippe, was arrested last month by the anti-drug trafficking unit of the Haiti National Police in the Haitian capital of Port-au-Prince, the Haitian capital, and transferred to Miami where he is being held at US federal detention center.Philippe is set to face trial on drug-trafficking and money laundering charges.In a highly unusual move, Philippe pleaded his innocence, called on supporters to continue demonstrating for his immediate return to Haiti and accused former classmate and Haitian Senate President Youri Latortue of heading the conspiracy leading to his unexpected arrest.Philippe reportedly made the rant in a three-minute recording that went viral on social media.
Bahamian authorities say they have detained more than 70 Haitians after intercepting a vessel west of the Exuma chain of islands between the Bahamas archipelago and Cuba, over the long holiday weekend.They said the Bahamian Navy intercepted the 40 foot vessel with 76 Haitian illegal migrants on Sunday, a few days after the navy had intercepted another vessel with 87 Haitians on board.The Royal Defense Force of the Bahamas (RBDF) said the new illegal migrants have been handed over to the immigration authorities for possible repatriation.The authorities say that hundreds of Haitians risk their lives by traveling in fragile and overloaded boats to the Bahamas in search of work, although the authorities of the archipelago have warned that they will expel all foreigners who do not have a residence permit as of January 1, 2018According to figures released by the International Organization for Migration, (IOM) there were nearly 70,000 Haitians in the Bahamas in 2014, including about 50,000 who did not have residence permits.
Best Selling New Independent Author Ann Marie Sorrell is kicking-off her South Florida tour this Saturday as a featured author at the 7th Annual South Florida Book Festival. Ann Marie a South Florida resident is a Jamaican author of the book Chronicles of a Serial Dater. She’s a philanthropist, award-winning business leader, woman of faith, and emboldened enthusiast of the opposite sex. She lives out loud and is unapologetic in her support of the many causes that are important to her, which include: social justice, equality for all, issues impacting women and minorities, economic development and health & wellness.Jamaican bornJamaican born, but raised in rural Pahokee, Florida, Ann Marie is the President & CEO of The Mosaic Group, an award-winning marketing, public relations, and events management firm serving clients throughout South Florida. She has launched three empowerment and economic development initiatives: Black Girl Magic Florida (an initiative that exists to honor achievement, beauty, and strength among black women in Florida and beyond); Black Business Loop (the community’s connection to black-owned businesses, entrepreneurs, events, community resources, and black economic initiatives); and Ambitious Young Women (a personal development and mentoring program created for girls ages 12-18 in West Palm Beach, FL. She serves on several community boards including the Chamber of the Palm Beaches and is the President of Girls II Women, Inc. Ann Marie has won numerous awards for her leadership, business acumen, and community involvement.WorkshopOn Saturday, July 21, 2018, from 1pm-2pm, South Florida residents and book lovers can participate in the free “Chronicles of a Serial Dater” workshop hosted by Ann Marie and moderated by Michelle Talbert at the African-American Research Library and Cultural Center (AARLCC), located at 2650 Sistrunk Blvd., Fort Lauderdale, FL 33312. Attendees will gain life-changing tips on love and relationships. After the workshop, guests will receive a personally signed book after purchase. “I am excited to have been selected as a featured author for the South Florida Book Festival and to host the Chronicles of Serial Dater Workshop,” said Ann Marie. “Discussions around dating and relationship are always interesting as we share so many different perspectives. I am transparent and look forward to sharing my experiences and lessons learned from my personal journey.” The bookChronicles of a Serial Dater is a serious, but not too serious, no-holds-barred book about Ann Marie’s personal journey through the good, bad, funny – and steamy – of dating and relationships told through short stories that all end with a tip for the ladies and a tip for the fellas on the lesson(s) learned from each situation. Not all dates end up with a Prince Charming like Cinderella or being overlooked like Ugly Betty. They are a medium between the two. So, buckle up and get ready for the wild ride that is the search for love and lust in the modern dating world.Ann Marie will also be featured in a panel discussion at the 5th annual StyleLuxe Beauty & Fashion Expo, on July 29th, from 2pm-7pm, at the Center for The Arts in Fort Lauderdale. Fashion and Beauty industry professionals are invited to join the panel discussion on, “How to Use Events to Build Your Brand.” Learn how to grow your business with the proper strategies and tools that works best for your business.
NEW YORK – The GRAMMY Museum Experience Prudential Center continues its “An Evening With” series on Tuesday, Dec. 17 featuring nine-time Grammy-nominated Reggae group, Third World, in celebration of their Grammy-nominated album More Work To Be Done produced by Damian Jr Gong Marley.“An Evening With” series aims to provide intimate, moderated conversations with iconic recording artists about their creative process, history, current and future projects, to the Newark, NJ community. An Evening with Third World includes a conversation and Q&A with audience members as well as video and audio selections from the group’s album More Work To Be Done.Celebrating over 45 years, the ‘Reggae Ambassadors’, Third World is one of the longest-lived Reggae bands of all time, and one of Jamaica’s most consistently popular crossover acts among international audiences. Mixing in elements of R&B, funk, pop, and rock and, later on, dancehall and rap, Third World’s style has been described as “reggae-fusion”.Singer Bunny Rugs described the band’s sound: “Strictly a reggae band, no. Definitely a reggae band, yes.” Guitarist Cat Coore said of their music: “The hybrid of various types of music is a natural thing because, by growing up in Jamaica, we know the direct roots of reggae and ska. At the same time, we live in a country where you get to hear Chuck Berry, Fats Domino and all the R & B artists.” Bassist Richard Daley said, “We took roots reggae music and put branches on top of it”.Most recently, Third World released their highly anticipated 22nd studio album titled More Work to Be Done. The album is produced by multi-Grammy-award winning artist/producer Damian “Jr. Gong” Marley and features an incredible array of artists: Chronixx, Tarrus Riley, Busy Signal, Pressure Busspipe, Tessanne Chin and Damian“Jr Gong” Marley, courtesy of Ghetto Youths International. More Work to Be Done has been nominated for the 62nd Annual Grammy Awards in the category Best Reggae Album.“There are few bands that have been able to consistently push musical boundaries while holding firmly to their roots as Third World has done for over 45 years,” said Mark Conklin, Director of Artist Relations & Programming, GRAMMY™ Museum Experience Prudential Center. “We’re thrilled to welcome them and celebrate their newest release at GRAMMY Museum Experience™ Prudential Center. ”
Related Confederation of African Football (CAF) president Ahmad Ahmad has revealed that the quality of infrastructures would henceforth determine African Cup of Nations (AFCON) hosts solely.Ahmad Ahmad said this at the first ever CAF symposium taking place in the Moroccan capital city of Rabat. Football stakeholders on the continent have been meeting to discuss the future of football in Africa alongside FIFA President Gianni Infantino and Secretary-General Fatma Samoura.Speaking on the matter, Ahmad Ahmad said: “For us to beam to the rest of the world our football, we must ensure venues are the right ones, the airports have to very good and also the hotels too, amongst other very important infrastructures. It’s expedient we take this into consideration henceforth to move our football forward.”
Related Italian champions Juventus gave one of the best performances of the new Italian Serie A season as they thrashed Udinese 6-2 at the Stadio Fruili despite playing the majority of the game with 10 men after Mario Mandzukic was sent off in the first half for two quickfire yellow cards.Germany international midfielder was surprisingly the hero for the Turin giants as he netted a hattrick in addition to further goals from Daniele Rugani, Miralem Pjanic and an own goal from Udinese player Samir.AC Milan’s wretched start to the season continued after they played a goalless draw at home to Genoa. They finished the game with 10 men after club captain Leonardo Bonucci was sent off.The capital clubs namely Lazio and AS Roma have had a good start to the season and that continued on Sunday after respective wins over Cagliari and Torino.Ciro Immobile (2) and Bastos got the goals for Lazio in a 3-0 home win over Cagliari while former Manchester City defender Alexander Kolarov netted the only foal of the game in a 1-0 win at Torino. Results:Chievo Verona 3-2 Hellas VeronaAtalanta 1-0 BolognaAC Milan 0-0 GenoaLazio 3-0 CagliariTorino 0-1 AS RomaUdinese 2-6 JuventusBenevento 0-3 FiorentinaSPAL 2013 0-1 SassuoloTop Four:Napoli 25 pointsInter Milan 23 pointsJuventus 22 pointsLazio 22 points
Frank Lampard Reveals Player That Would Have Saved Chelsea In 3-0 Loss To RomaChelsea legend, Frank Lampard, has stated that his former club is struggling defensively due absence of right-wing back, Victor Moses.Reacting to Chelsea’s 3-0 loss to AS Roma at the Stadio Olimpico in the UEFA Champions League on Tuesday, Lampard said it was evident the West London club were missing Moses despite Conte trying out Davide Zappacosta and Cesar Azpilicueta in his absence.Lampard said “Moses is a miss, you wouldn’t have thought that 18 months ago with what he’s given them in the right-wing back position. Conte is covering it with Azpilicueta, he’s covering it with Zappacosta, but it’s affecting the whole back five”,“And I think he will want to get back to knowing what his three is and working on it through the week. The players are going to have to react because I don’t think Conte is a manager that will change his way. He might change players in the team but they’ll have to work.“Hearing discontent about training, they better get used to it because he’ll want to work his way out of it. Moses is Antonio Conte’s first choice for the right-wing-back”.The 26-year-old has been out of action since limping off in the first half of their 2-1 Premier League defeat at former club Crystal Palace.RelatedLampard Schools Mourinho As Chelsea Strengthen Top 4 BidFebruary 22, 2020In “England”Antonio Rudiger’s Arrival, Not The Most Cheering Summer News For Victor MosesJuly 11, 2017In “England”UEFA Super Cup: Lampard Relishes Facing Jurgen Klopp in IstanbulAugust 14, 2019In “UEFA”
Submit Related Articles Share Betsson outrides pandemic challenges as regulatory dramas loom July 21, 2020 StumbleUpon LeoVegas hits back at Swedish regulations despite Q2 successes August 13, 2020 Share Spelinspektionen reminds operators of AML responsibilities July 2, 2020 As Sweden prepares to re-regulate its gambling market, allowing for newly licensed online betting operators, gaming ethics council Speletiska Rådet (Sper) has announced that it has reformed its body to become an industry trade association.Previously acting as a sector ethics council, Sper focused on implementing best practices and consumer protections for Swedish state-owned gaming enterprises.However, Sper CEO Jenny Nilzon has detailed to industry news source TotallyGaming.com that the organisations mandate has significantly increased and changed, with its members urging Sper to work on ‘wider industry issues’.“Sper decided to meet this demand and take greater responsibility for the situation. To be able to do this, the ethical council had to be transformed into an association.”Noting the change, Nilzon states that Sper wants to represent the entire new Swedish market, improving cooperation, communication and knowledge between decision makers and all-sector stakeholders.Currently, Sweden has entered a crucial period in its proposed legislation of online gambling services. Last April regulatory body Lotteriinspektionen published its first draft of the new national gambling framework.Swedish officials are review initial gambling licensing provisions and procedures, combined with a potential 18% tax on gross gaming revenues for remote operators.As leader of Sper, Nilzon detailed the importance of trust between Sweden’s regulatory bodies and its new market entrants, which will be critical in creating a fair marketplace“We will continue to work with ethical guidelines and prove that the industry can self-regulate itself even after the re-regulation.” Nilzon details