LCD Soundsystem Announces Two-Nights At Red Rocks Amphitheatre

first_imgIt seems the LCD Soundsystem reunion tour is in full swing! After reuniting on Easter Sunday for their first show in five years, the band has added two more dates: August 2nd and 3rd at Red Rocks Amphitheatre in Morrison, CO. The group will be joined by Savages and Museum of Love, putting together two glorious nights of music for all involved.LCD just wrapped up a two night run at NYC’s Webster Hall, where the group came out in full force. The “warm-up” performances saw the band dive through a number of their older hits, including tracks like “Daft Punk Is Playing At My House,” “I Can Change” and more. While the band has said that they’re working on new music, fans only have their lethargic Christmas song as evidence of new work.Still, with performances scheduled for major festivals like Bonnaroo, Coachella, Lollapalooza, Glastonbury and more, there’s plenty of opportunities to see LCD Soundsystem at work.Check out the event poster for their newly-announced two-night Red Rocks run, and tickets can be found here. They go on sale this Friday, April 1st, at 10 AM.last_img read more

North Korea on flood alert as heavy rain kills 16 in South

first_imgAt least 138 North Koreans died after torrential rain triggered major floods in 2016, the United Nations said at the time.More than 160 people were killed by a massive rainstorm in the summer of 2012. Another 11 were missing, while 1,600 people had been displaced from their homes, authorities said.The North’s official KCNA news agency said areas hardest-hit by the downpour include Hwanghae province, a major agricultural region.”It is important to take necessary measures for the regions which are in danger,” said Dokgo Hyok Chol, an official at the State Hydro-meteorological Administration.KCNA did not mention any casualties or damage caused by the rain. Topics :center_img Days of heavy rain could cause flooding or landslides across North Korea, officials warned, as the South said Thursday 16 people had died in the downpours lashing the peninsula.North Korea is particularly vulnerable to sustained heavy rain as many mountains and hills have long been stripped of vegetation, allowing water to flow downhill unchecked.But the South has also suffered, with authorities saying at least 16 people had been killed in the past few days by floods in the central region.last_img read more

OECD calls for standardisation to create tradable longevity market

first_imgIt further urged pension investors to update their mortality assumptions regularly and ensure these recognised future mortality improvements, suggesting that failure to do so risked underestimating liabilities by 10%.“Likewise,” the report continued, “the use of assumptions that are not reflective of recent improvements in mortality can expose the pension plan or annuity provider to the need for a significant increase in reserves.”One of the suggestions to better address longevity risk was for the regulatory framework to be risk-based, so that a pension plan’s actions to mitigate any risk would be incentivised.However, the report raised concerns about the “potentially limited” capacity of insurers and reinsurers to take on risk, instead proposing that capital markets offer solutions that allow longevity risk to be traded.It said such tradable solutions could offer a “promising alternative” for pension schemes unwilling to increase risk buffers to retain their longevity risk.But it said it would be vital that the market offer standarised products and be transparent, with the development of longevity indices key to such a step. The OECD has called for greater standardisation and transparency in the pricing of longevity risk to allow for growth in the de-risking market.The think tank also reiterated earlier calls for the issuance of longevity bonds and governments to back the creation of functional longevity markets as it published its 2014 Pensions Outlook.Alongside the report, the body also published a detailed assessment of mortality assumptions and longevity risk, suggesting regulators should take a more proactive role in encouraging pension funds to manage their longevity.“More transparency and standardisation in the pricing of longevity instruments would aid potential investors in becoming comfortable with investing in longevity risk and allow for the further development of index-based instruments,” the report said.last_img read more

Offshore watchdog reveals cause of crane incident on Statoil’s Gullfaks B

first_imgNorwegian offshore safety body, the Petroleum Safety Authority (PSA), has identified weaknesses in crane design as an underlying cause of a crane incident from March on Statoil’s Gullfaks B platform offshore Norway.The PSA said on Thursday it had finished its investigation of the incident on Gullfaks B from March 7, 2017, when the boom of the pipehandling crane fell to the pipe deck. Several breaches of the regulations have been identified by the regulator.According to the agency, while transferring materials from the pipe deck to the drill floor on the Statoil-operated installation in the North Sea, the boom dropped 10 meters without warning to the pipe deck after a steel rope failed. The boom weighed about 14.4 tonnes.The horizontal to vertical (HTV) Eagle crane is used, as its designation suggests, to lift drill pipe from a horizontal position on the pipe deck catwalk to a vertical position on the drill floor.Two people had adjusted the gripper on the crane’s gripper yoke down on the pipe deck immediately before the incident.Actual and potential consequencesThe safety body said in its report that the actual consequence of the crane boom falling onto the pipe deck was substantial material damage to the crane and to the cable tray for the traverse crane on this deck. In addition, the incident caused a halt to activity on Gullfaks B. No personnel were injured in the incident.Under slightly different circumstances, the incident could have caused serious personal injuries or loss of human life. In other circumstances, it could have given rise to even greater material damage, the offshore safety watchdog said.Direct & underlying causesFurther according to the report, the direct cause of the boom falling to the pipe deck was fatigue in the steel rope. The underlying cause was weaknesses in the design of the crane’s hoisting system, which gave rise to wear and fatigue in the rope over time. Fatigue in the steel rope was not assessed as a relevant problem for this design.Nonconformities from the regulationsThe investigation has identified several nonconformities from the regulations, including: Risk assessment of equipment – inadequate identification of risk; Investigation of and improvement measures following earlier incidents – inadequate identification, investigation and follow-up of previous hazards and accidents; Utilization of expertise –  insufficient use of mechanical handling expertise when specifying crane requirements; Responsibility for acceptance and operation of equipment – inadequate follow-up and checks when taking delivery of and operating machinery and equipment; Maintenance – deficiencies in the maintenance program for the steel rope.Statoil has been asked to explain to the PSA by September 20, 2017 how it intends to deal with these nonconformities.Gullfaks The main Gullfaks field lies in block 34/10 in the northern part of the Norwegian North Sea. It has been developed with three large concrete production platforms. The Gullfaks A platform began production in December 1986, with Gullfaks B following in February 1988, and the C platform in November 1989.The A platform is also used for storing and exporting stabilised crude from the Vigdis and Visund fields. Oil and gas from Gullfaks B is transferred to the A and C platforms for processing, storage and export.last_img read more

Atsu keen to embrace Everton chance

first_img The Ivory Coast international has not played since October and is still a month away from full fitness but is effectively the only back-up striker to Lukaku. “A lot will be down to how Arouna Kone adapts to being fully fit. It is a big area we are going to keep an eye on,” said Martinez, who denied reports he was ready to sell the striker. “At the moment it is difficult to say when he is going to be fit but I have an incredible confidence in him. “I am very happy, today, at the start of the season, with the business we have done.” Loan signing Christian Atsu admits he seized the opportunity to join Everton and play in the Barclays Premier League as he does not know when he will get his chance at Chelsea. However, Atsu, who joined Chelsea on a five-year contract from Porto last September and was immediately farmed out to Dutch side Vitesse Arnhem, is not yet thinking about long-term plans. “I can’t tell you the future but I don’t know how long it will take for me to get back to Chelsea,” said the Ghana international. “Looking at the players Chelsea has my playing time would not be much and for me I have to play football as a young player. “Right now I am really focused on Everton and at the end of the season we will see what will happen. “I think Everton is a really good club and I am here to work hard and to help the team. “This is my first season in the Premier League and it is a really high level for me and a big opportunity to prove myself and also to help the team.” Atsu is Martinez’s fourth signing this summer after Lukaku and Gareth Barry turned their loans into permanent deals and midfielder Muhamed Besic joined from Hungarian side Ferencvaros. Martinez said he was “not desperate” to bring in any more signings in this transfer window but much may depend on the fitness of Arouna Kone. Press Association The 22-year-old will spend the coming campaign under the guidance of Roberto Martinez at Goodison Park, following in the footsteps of Romelu Lukaku who did exactly the same last season before signing permanently this summer. Some of his comments mirrored those of Lukaku, who said after he completed his £28million deal that he wanted more pitch time and did not think he would get it at Stamford Bridge. last_img read more

Akwa Ibom Govt Demands $300,000 Refund from Pele

first_imgA top source informed AfricanFootball.com that oil-rich Akwa Ibom Government has since been demanding that the appearance fee be refunded and so far their efforts have come to nought.“The Akwa Ibom Government wants the cash back, but so far all efforts have proved abortive,” the source said.“The government want all the $300,000, but some experts in the business have advised they should angle for a part of this sum.“Pele’s people have continued to insist they were not the ones who breached the agreement and so they could not be liable.“And that by the time a new date for the opening of the stadium was fixed, their client was committed to another engagement.”Many years after he retired from the game, three-time world champion Pele has cashed in on his charisma to rake in millions of dollars through special guest appearances around the globe.Share this:FacebookRedditTwitterPrintPinterestEmailWhatsAppSkypeLinkedInTumblrPocketTelegram Iconic Brazilian football legend, Edson Arantes do Nascimento (a.k.aPele) has been asked by the Akwa Ibom State Government to refund a $300,000 (more than N135 million) appearance fee paid him after he failed to grace the opening of the Godswill Akpabio International Stadium in Uyo two years ago.The 30,000-capacity stadium, which at the weekend played host to Nigeria’s 2018 World Cup qualifier against Algeria, was opened by then Nigerian President, Goodluck Jonathan, on November 7, 2014, with King of Football Pele billed to appear at the elaborate event.However, the legendary Pele did not grace the occasion even after his agents received a $300,000 payment because there was a shift in dates for the opening of the multi-million dollar sporting edifice nicknamed ‘The Nest of Champions’.last_img read more

GuySuCo divestment for early 2019 – Jordan

first_img…though PwC valuation report still to be made publicThough a report on the valuation of the assets of the Guyana Sugar Corporation (GuySuCo) has not yet been released, Government is optimistic that the divestment process can begin in a matter of months.In a sit down with the media after signing a loan agreement on Friday, Finance Minister Winston Jordan was asked for an update on the divestment process. In his response, he noted that Government is optimistic of starting in the first half of 2019, a fact expressed by President David Granger.“We expect by the first half of next year to divest some of the estates,” Jordan said, adding “I will speak with (Special Purpose Unit head Colvin Heath-London) to see if we have any further updates. Otherwise, the next update perhaps will be in the budget speech, in terms of where we are and what we expect.”The parliamentary Opposition has been calling on the Government to publicise the PriceWaterhouse Coopers (PwC) valuation report into GuySuCo’s assets. The valuation was supposed to have preceded the sale of the various estates and accompanying assets.That process has already started; however, neither the Government nor the accounting firm has released the document. At a recent press conference, Opposition Leader Bharrat Jagdeo zeroed in on this state of affairs.“We were told that before any decision was made, that PriceWaterhouse Coopers will do a valuation of assets. Where is the valuation of the assets and why don’t they release it to the Guyanese public, so we will see what they have valued the assets of GuySuCo at and whether we come close to realising that value,” Jagdeo had said.“Or if they have undervalued the assets of GuySuCo and then would claim that they got more than the valuation. We’d like to see a copy of the report. But it seems as though its done secretly and we don’t know what assurances are given by PwC and SPU, whether those are assurances Cabinet has agreed to,” the Opposition Leader added.SeveranceJordan was also asked about the payment of severances. He noted that the supplementary paper must be approved for the severance to be paid. He also noted that when Government paid its first tranche, many workers received their full severance.“We said once the Parliament passes the supplementary and the President signs the supplementary appropriations Act, they will be paid. We will transfer the money. My understanding is that they already have the sheets ready.”“In January, we had said we were going to make the payments in two parts, because we didn’t have the monies to make severance. We said at the time that those owed $500,000 or less, we would pay fully. So nobody got less than $500,000, if you were at $500,000 or above. So a significant number of sugar workers were paid their full severance.”Jordan reminded that Government had promised to make the remainder of the severance available by the second half of 2018. He noted that the year is not finished, but assured that Government would remain on this timeline.Earlier this month, Government tabled a financial paper seeking parliamentary approval for $2.4 billion to pay-off hundreds of sugar workers. This was even as several sugar workers protested in front of Parliament. Of the $7.5 billion financial paper totalled, $2.4 billion was set aside for severance pay.In May 2017, Government announced plans to close the Enmore and Rose Hall Sugar Estates, sell the Skeldon Sugar Factory, reduce the annual production of sugar, and take on the responsibility of managing the drainage and irrigation services offered by GuySuCo.In November of that year, GuySuCo announced plans to retrench 2500 workers by the end of that year. That number increased substantially and ended up being over 7000.last_img read more