RelatedPosts US women national football team co-captains vow to push forward after legal setback The US women’s national soccer team’s bid to immediately appeal the dismissal of their equal pay claims against their national federation was denied on Tuesday.Judge R. Gary Klausner of the US District Court for the Central District of California said their appeal must wait until after their remaining claims — including unfair medical services, travel and training — proceed to trial, which is set for September 15. Last month, the judge threw out players’ claims that they were under paid in comparison with the men’s national team.The players’ spokeswoman, Molly Levinson, said the ruling “simply means that an appeal may take longer to file”.Levinson said: “We intend to appeal the Court’s decision which does not account for the central fact in this case that women players have been paid at lesser rates than men who do the same job.”The US Soccer Federation did not immediately respond to a request for comment.Reuters/NAN. Tags: Equal PayGary KlausnerUS Women’s National team
Michael O’Neill believes his Northern Ireland side are one win away from turning their Euro 2016 dream into a reality. O’Neill’s men have been one of the surprise packages of the qualifying campaign, with Sunday’s 2-1 defeat of Finland making it four wins from five matches. That leaves them second in Group F, four points clear of Hungary and just a point shy of table-topping Romania. Anghel Iordanescu’s side come to Windsor Park on June 13 and O’Neill believes success then would go a long way to ensuring a first major tournament in 30 years. “The message is simple. We have given ourselves a fantastic chance, and we have to make sure we take our chance again in June,” he said, after Kyle Lafferty’s brilliant brace in Belfast. “The Romania game becomes massive now. If you can win that game, then it would be hard to think we won’t get to the Euros. “It takes on extra significance. Do we feel 18 points will be enough? Possibly. “If we can get to 15 points with four games to go, that has to be our target at this moment in time. We will have the chance to go top of the group against Romania.” The game comes at an awkward time, with the English and Scottish seasons having broken up for the summer, but O’Neill hopes that does not have a major impact. He is relying on dedication from his players and two friendlies – one against Qatar on May 31 and another against Wales – to get his side in shape. The Wales game has yet to be confirmed by the two associations, but O’Neill is already treating it as a done deal. “We have two good warm-up games before that so preparation will be excellent,” he said. “Our preparation in June will be vital, and the warm-up games against Qatar and Wales will be crucial. “But players finish their seasons in May, and there is an onus on certain players to maintain their own fitness.” If fit Aaron Hughes is sure to become his country’s most capped outfield player in that run of fixtures, with his current tally of 95 leaving him level with David Healy. He had to make do with bench duty against Finland, with O’Neill making the tough choice to pair Jonny Evans and Gareth McAuley in the middle while favouring Conor McLaughlin at right-back. “Leaving out Aaron was maybe the most difficult decision I have had to make in my three years, in terms of team selection,” the manager confessed. “Everyone knows what Aaron Hughes is about and what his qualities are as a player and individual. I sat with Aaron a few nights ago and talked about his situation at Brighton. “He hasn’t played much club football in recent tines, and he fully understood where I was coming from. “And Aaron being Aaron, he took it in his professional style. He is still a huge part of this squad, but now we have competition for places which is good. “Jonny (Evans) showed what a top class player he is, and he showed it at Hampden against Scotland the other night. So it is good. “But it is only a matter of time before Aaron gets his 96th cap and goes on to win 100.” Press Association
Trace Walker The man who is suspected of shooting a Jamaican national to death in the parking lot of a fish market in Lauderhill, South Florida is now behind bars.He has been identified as Trace O’Brian Walker.Walker was caught on video as he pumped 13 bullets into the upper body of 34-year-old Gary Wallock on January 16 outside the Lobster and Seafood Warehouse, 1854 NW 38 Avenue, Lauderhill.Wallock’s female companion, who was with him at the time of the murder managed to escape although the suspect aimed his handgun and fired two shots in her direction as she scampered to safety.Walker was arrested in Palm Beach County without incident by the Lauderhill Police Department with the assistance West Palm Beach Police Department, Palm Beach Sheriff’s Office and the U.S. Marshalls Service.Walker is in the custody at the Broward Main County Jail being held without bond.The Lauderhill Police say they have established no motive for the murder but word on the ground in his hometown of Flankers in Montego Bay, Jamaica is linking the incident to an ongoing lotto scam.
Heroes’ welcome!World Youth champions Windies return to big partyBRIDGETOWN, Barbados (CMC):World Under-19 champions West Indies returned to the Caribbean on Tuesday afternoon to a heroes’ welcome, following their triumph last Sunday at the ICC Youth World Cup in Bangladesh.They were greeted at the Grantley Adams International Airport by Barbados Cricket Association president and West Indies Cricket Board (WICB) director, Joel Garner, along with WICB chief executive, Michael Muirhead.Legendary West Indies opener, Desmond Haynes, Barbados Sports Minister Stephen Lashley, and Tourism Minister Richard Sealy also attended the welcome ceremony.An elated captain, Shimron Hetmyer, said his side had remained confident despite its sluggish start at the tournament.”I think the turnaround came after the game against England where we knew we had to win the other games to get through,” the Guyana left-hander said.”I think after then, the guys really got serious and really got down to their stuff, and that started in the practice from the next day. The guys then did everything in their power to make sure we won the next couple of games and even in the Zimbabwe game had some very positive performances.”West Indies were whitewashed by Bangladesh in a warm-up three-match series before losing their opening match of the tournament to England by 61 runs.However, they rebounded to crush minnows Fiji by 262 runs, before eking out a narrow two-run win over Zimbabwe in controversial circumstances in their final group game, to reach the quarter-finals.CLINICAL RUN CHASESWest Indies then produced clinical run chases to beat Pakistan by five wickets and Bangladesh by two wickets in the semi-finals to clinch their spot in the final against previously unbeaten India Under-19s.Yet again, they strung together a successful chase to win by five wickets chasing a small total of 146.Manager Dwain Gill said the confidence level in the squad had remained high throughout the tournament and pointed to the warm-up matches as being key to their preparation.”It feels great, of course, being part of a World Cup-winning squad as we went there to win,” he noted.”It started off quite challenging with the warm-up matches against Bangladesh, but that is the reason we went there – to get acclimatised to the conditions and see the opposition.”Family members of the Barbados players along with well-wishers were also present to welcome the squad.